Trying to get into practical shooting in Hampshire

Where? Well that mythical pub that's just near the range where we we can discuss anything you want to say that doesn't fit any listed category. It probably soon will though...
You can register for this forum on our website at four4islands.org YOUR REAL NAMES WILL BE YOUR USERNAME e.g. John Smith.
Forum rules
Views expressed here are personal opinions of our users only and do not necessarily reflect the views of four4islands.org nor any of its representatives.

Trying to get into practical shooting in Hampshire

Postby Mike Lee » Sat May 26, 2018 7:44 am

Hi all, I'm Mike and have just joined this forum.

I am shooting currently at my local rifle and pistol club, but it's mainly indoors at 30 yards (only joined them 6 months ago). I'm finding it a little repetitive, especially as I did the same with air guns for a number of years previously.

I'm located in Hampshire and I'm very keen on getting into practical shooting. I have asked Romsey Shooting Club last week if they have any spaces or to put me on the waiting list (not heard back from them yet).

It appears very few clubs have practical shooting facilities and those that do have long waiting lists.

I wanted to ask what advice any of you can give me to get involved in the sport in Hampshire or am I due a very very long wait before I can even contemplate getting involved.

Cheers in advance for any advice
Mike
Mike Lee

Re: Trying to get into practical shooting in Hampshire

Postby Michael Norris » Sat May 26, 2018 4:01 pm

Mike Lee wrote:Hi all, I'm Mike and have just joined this forum.

I am shooting currently at my local rifle and pistol club, but it's mainly indoors at 30 yards (only joined them 6 months ago). I'm finding it a little repetitive, especially as I did the same with air guns for a number of years previously.

I'm located in Hampshire and I'm very keen on getting into practical shooting. I have asked Romsey Shooting Club last week if they have any spaces or to put me on the waiting list (not heard back from them yet).

It appears very few clubs have practical shooting facilities and those that do have long waiting lists.

I wanted to ask what advice any of you can give me to get involved in the sport in Hampshire or am I due a very very long wait before I can even contemplate getting involved.

Mike

Mike

I am a member of Romsey Shooting Club. We use two sites, one near Romsey and the other near Popham airfield. I suggest you email romseyscmemsec@gmail.com. As far as I am aware, we don't have a waiting list.

I look forward to meeting you on the range.

Mike
Michael Norris

Postby Michael Norris » Sat May 26, 2018 4:03 pm

Mike Lee wrote:Hi all, I'm Mike and have just joined this forum.

Mike

Mike

I am a member of Romsey Shooting Club. We use two sites, one near Romsey and the other near Popham airfield. I suggest you email romseyscmemsec@gmail.com. As far as I am aware, we don't have a waiting list.

I look forward to meeting you on the range.

Mike
Michael Norris

Postby Mike Lee » Sat May 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. Just tonight got the application sent to me and have been invited to one of the practise days at Popham in June.

So gone from zero to 60 just today and now looking forward to getting involved and being part of the sport and the club (fingers crossed).

Again much appreciate the reply Mike.

Cheers Mike.
Mike Lee

Postby Jon Axe » Sun May 27, 2018 7:02 am

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the dark side......

Romsey is a great bunch of guys. You'll be well looked after there.

While not in Hampshire, Shield Shooting Centre is pretty close in Dorset. Located between Bridport & Weymouth, they're open pretty much all year with competitions for the various Practical disciplines most months.
They're friendly guys, why not head down there & see what they have?

A word of warning, Practical is a steep curve. Yes, from a learning perspective but mainly from an addiction stand point.
I, like many others, used to be normal. Now I am, like those same others, perfectly prepared to sell relatives for the cash to buy ammo.....
But it's not a problem. I can give it up any time I like

Honest.....

All the best

Jon
Jon Axe

Postby Mike Lee » Sun May 27, 2018 11:32 am

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the heads up on the Shield Shooting Centre. I did see them mentioned a few times on the net while looking into practical shooting. However it's a bit too far for me to get to on a regular basis.

I suspect like you have suggested I will get involved more than I probably realise at this moment in time. I can be quite competitive, even if I don't admit to it, so have a feeling money may just be thrown in its general direction :)

Looking forward to some real shooting fun, meeting like minded people and getting involved.

Cheers
Mike
Mike Lee

Postby Andy » Sun May 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Mike, I think Aldershot Rifle and Pistol club do a bit a PSG now and then, also look out for the matches at Bisley run by James Harris, there is one on 29 to 31 June which is the largest PSG match in the UK, James is on this forum, while you may not be able to shoot it you might be able to watch the match or help out, speak to James as access to the event is restricted to people who are running the match or taking part.
This post was brought to you by Andy Watts
Andy

Postby Mike Lee » Sun May 27, 2018 3:41 pm

Andy wrote:Mike, I think Aldershot Rifle and Pistol club do a bit a PSG now and then, also look out for the matches at Bisley run by James Harris, there is one on 29 to 31 June which is the largest PSG match in the UK, James is on this forum, while you may not be able to shoot it you might be able to watch the match or help out, speak to James as access to the event is restricted to people who are running the match or taking part.

Thanks Andy,

I'll look into those, much appreciated.
Mike Lee

Postby Dave Smith » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Mike ,
As has already been said by the other Mike and Jon Axe , you won't go far wrong with either Shield or Rpmsey ( the one near Popham airfield ) both are cracking venues and the folks there will be only too willing to get you on your way , don't be daunted at how good some of them are , they have worked really hard and practiced loads and loads but every one of them is willing to share their experience and knowledge with you and as Jon said your only problem will be ..........stopping doing it :)
Dave Smith

Postby Mike Lee » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:22 pm

Dave Smith wrote:Mike ,
As has already been said by the other Mike and Jon Axe , you won't go far wrong with either Shield or Rpmsey ( the one near Popham airfield ) both are cracking venues and the folks there will be only too willing to get you on your way , don't be daunted at how good some of them are , they have worked really hard and practiced loads and loads but every one of them is willing to share their experience and knowledge with you and as Jon said your only problem will be ..........stopping doing it :)

Cheers Dave, just so happens had my first practical shotgun day today at Popham. Was an excellent day and members are great (thanks to Paul for today's intro).

Looking forward to the next session and getting involved.

Cheers
Mike
Mike Lee

Return to The Drovers' Arms