Where are the UK's young shooters ?

Videos and pics from matches or anything else. Funnies in the Hadtolaff section please...

Re: Where are the UK's young shooters ?

Postby Dan Bowkett » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:18 pm

I've just read this whole thread and found it quite interesting.

I agree that the perfect age range of potential new blood is late twenties and thirties. Disposable income and discipline being the main factors. Also it might be easier to get younger members when the supervising member isn't a "stuck in his ways old fuddy duddy". A youngster would probably find it easier to relate to somebody that's only 15 or so years older.

I realise that this is an old thread but has anybody noticed any kind of improvement in the age range of shooters?
Dan Bowkett

Postby david kiddle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:32 pm

We have lots of junior shooters at all our matches & club events , ages 9 & up.

Free membership is offered to U18's.

www.kentuckyfirearmsclub.org.uk

Past events can be seen on youtube ENGLISH SHOOTING CHANNEL
david kiddle

Postby Steve Drew » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:48 pm

Shooting generally is still a growing sport. By far the most popular take up is shotgun grant applications for clay pigeon shooting, and my county is seeing a @5% year on year increase in grant applications. I think this is due to this discipline being far more accessible through the opportunities offered by stag do's, corporate days, team building events, charity shoots, gift days etc. People try or attend one of these and get a taste for it. It also seems the most popular route into shooting as it is better known. Even FAC grants are more commonly related to live quarry shooting from those who first went the shotgun route. Having chatted to many new applicants, very few of them are aware of the array of S.1 target related disciplines. There is still a myth amongst even the shotgun shooting community that getting an FAC is just too hard and people are put off by their peers. There's irony for you.There are younger shooters around in shotgun/clay/game shooting, but most just tend to stick with that.
Steve Drew

Postby Normanhumphries » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:39 am

I totally agree Steve, but the shooting sport with the most potential for growth with young shooters is practical shotgun. If they don't know about it they won't come.
Normanhumphries

Postby Steve Drew » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:53 am

Normanhumphries wrote:I totally agree Steve, but the shooting sport with the most potential for growth with young shooters is practical shotgun. If they don't know about it they won't come.

One avenue certainly, but personally I think it's the .22RF dynamic disciplines, like mini-rifle, LBP, speed steels etc. It's fast, fun and the guns are cheaper and easier to handle. There are also a growing number of venues. Whichever you think is the most likely route, neither are marketed sufficiently well. Interestingly on shotguns, not many come across from S.2 as most of my customers are in this group and PSG is widely frowned upon. I'm not saying this is a correct view, but it's definitely there..
Steve Drew

Previous

Return to Gallery